We all know that cutting processed, high trans-fat and sugar laden foods out of our daily diets will make us healthier and look and feel fabulous, but did you know that there’s an inexpensive way to loose the puffiness, that drained feeling and those digestive issues? It lies within anti-inflammatory foods and spices!
Eating a healthy diet combined with these steps will make all the difference in how you feel and look. These are some of the top anti-inflammatory foods and spices and ways you can utilize their benefits easily in your daily routine.
Every time you flavor your meals with herbs or spices you are literally “upgrading” your food without adding a single calorie. It’s also been shown that some herbs are even higher in antioxidants than fruits and vegetables!
My favorite anti-inflamaotry spices are:
Also, Oregano, Marjoram, Thyme and Cloves
- Animal based Omega 3 fats such as WILD Alaskan Salmon, Krill Oil and shellfish.
- Plant based omega 3’s from flaxseed oil and walnuts.
Most people consume too many Omega 6 fats and are not balancing them out with Omega 3 fats; which when not balanced causes inflammation within the body. Therefore you need this no matter how healthy you think you are eating!
Dark, Leafy Green Veggies all contain antioxidents, flavonoids, carotenoids and Vitamin C to help protect cellular damage.
- Collard greens
- Swiss Chard
*See Janelle’s Anti-Inflamatory Elixir and Smoothie Booster below
*Matcha Green Tea is another one of my favorites as it comes from stone-ground unfermented powder and has more antioxidents than blueberries and dark chocolate (sorry chocoholics!)
*Shiitake mushrooms have been shown to inhibit oxidative stress and discourage inflammation.
I absolutly love these because they not only taste wonderful, but they contain nutrients such as copper that is hard to get within the diet regularly even when eating right.
Copper is one of the few metallic elements along with amino and fatty acids that are essential to human health. Since your body can’t normally synthesize copper, you must supply your diet with it regularly. Copper deficiency can be a factor in the development of coronary heart disease.
Garlic has been known for it’s therapeutic effect which comes from its sulfur-containing compounds, like Allicin. Research has revealed that as Allicin digests in your body, it produces sulfenic acid, a compound that reacts faster with dangerous free radicals than any other known compound.
RECIPES FOR SUCCESS:
Janelle’s Anti-Inflamatory Elixir
*Juice these items for best texture
- 2 cucumbers
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 apple
- 1 pear
- approx 1/4- to 1/2-inch diameter fresh ginger root—to taste-start with a little, then add more for spiciness.
- approx 1/4-1/2 inch diameter fresh Turmeric root
Janelle’s Anti-Inflamatory Belly Fat Booster
*blend all in a blender well and enjoy!
- 1 Tsp Matcha green tea powder (I usually purchase at H Mart or Tevana but you can purchase online also)
- 1/2 cup wild blueberries (frozen or fresh)
- 1/2 banana
- 1 cup kale or spinach
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp walnut oil (or 6 fresh walnuts)
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (Vegetarian or Whey based powder *See blog post “Whey Your Options” for my top picks and more recipes)
- 10-12 oz of Unsweetened Almond or coconut milk
- 4 ice cubes
Pan Seared Lemon Coconut Sage Flounder, serves 2-3 people
- 6 Flouder fillets (or grey sole)
- Unrefined Coconut Oil
- Sage (chopped small)
- Panko Breadcrumbs 1.5-2 cups
- Garlic powder (or fresh minced) 2 tsp
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
*top with Fresh squeezed Lemon & Unsweetened coconut flakes
1. In a bowl mix dry ingredients except coconut flakes, and fully cover flounder fillet on both sides
2. Warm 2 tbsp coconut oil in a frying pan, once hot add seasoned flounder fillet
3. Pan fry until the flesh of the fillet on the upside begins to turn fully white (approx 2-3 mins), once cooked throgh, flip over with spatula and continue to brown the other side for another 2 minutes.
4. Take out of fry pan and place on a paper towel to soak up any excess oil and liquid.
5. Squeeze fresh lemon juice and sprinkle coconut flakes on top and ENJOY!