1 large seedless watermelon
2 cans full fat coconut milk (left in fridge for 6 hours or more)
1/2 teasponn vanilla extract
1 tablespoon raw honey
1 cup sliced raw almonds or shredded coconut
Seasonal fresh fruit (for topping)
2 medium mixing bowls
Medium sized skillet
Coconut Whipped Cream
NOTE: Be sure to purchase regular coconut milk in a can (not light coconut milk) and put it in the fridge overnight (minimum) so the cream will raise to the top of the can. The longer it’s in the fridge, the easier it is to get the cream out.
- 1 cup coconut cream (this is the approximate measure that you will get from 2 cans of coconut milk)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Open your cans and scoop out the cream. You will have a bit of cream left behind in the coconut milk, but that’s okay. You want avoid getting milk in with the cream as much as possible
- Using a blender or hand blender (you can try an electric mixer if you have a powerful one), beat together the coconut cream, honey and vanilla extract.
- Put your coconut cream in a container and place it back in the fridge for a few hours to allow it to really solidify.
NOTE: If you find that even after chilling, the cream won’t stiffen up, put it into a blender with 1 package of unflavored gelatin. Let it sit out for about an hour. Once it’s thick as it should be, put it back into the fridge to chill further.
Toasted Almonds or Coconut
- Place a medium sized skillet over medium-high heat and allow the pan to get hot.
- Add the sliced almonds or shredded coconut and toss in the pan until they are toasted and turn a light brown color. Remove from pan and set aside to cool.
Watermelon Cake Assembly:
- Remove the top and bottom from the watermelon and remove the rind from the middle section. You should be left with a cake-shaped piece of watermelon.
- Pat the outside of the watermelon dry with paper towels (this is important because it will help the coconut whipped cream adhere better).
- Dip the outside edge of into the coconut whipped cream and then into the toasted almonds or coconut, or use a spatula
- Top with more whipped coconut cream and your favorite fresh fruit.
- Serve or store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.