Did you know:
*Beta Carotene is an anti-oxidant and Vitamin A precursor and gives grass fed beef a rich, yellow colored fat rather than Crisco-white colored fat. Grass fed beef contains up to 5.5 times more Beta Carotene compared to grain fed beef beef.
*Grass fed cattle take in 15 times more Vitamin E per day. Vitamin E necessary for structural and functional maintenance of skeletal, cardiac, and smooth muscle. It also assists in the formation of red blood cells and helps to maintain stores of vitamins A and K, iron, and selenium. It may also have a positive effect on immune health, protect against the oxidative damage that can lead to heart disease, have preventive effects against cancer, help relieve symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease, and may help prevent some diabetes-related damage, particularly to the eyes.
* Grass fed beef has about half the fat and fewer calories than grain-fed beef.
*Omega-3 Fatty Acids–Grass fed beef is an excellent source for an essential fatty acid and provides more omega-3 fats.
Check out this great recipe using grass fed beef. Don’t know where to buy grass fed beef? Then visit Body Ambition’s favorite place to buy grass fed beef: Eva’s Farm Organic Butcher Shop, Middleton, Mass.
JANELLE’S MEXICAN MASH UP
*99% lean ground turkey or lean grass fed beef
*Brown or jasmine rice
*Multi colored peppers (red, orange, yellow and green)
*Salsa (I prefer fresh like Pico de Gillo)
*Cholula Garlic hot sauce
*garlic powder, salt & pepper
1. Cook 1-2 package lean ground turkey in a skillet with garlic powder, salt, pepper and smoked paprika and cholula hot sauce (to your liking) until fully cooked.
2. While turkey is cooking, sautee vadalia onion in a little avocado or safflower oil in a pot and then add water and rice and cook 2 cups brown rice or jasmine rice according to package.
3. While all cooking dice up red, yellow, green and orange peppers and set aside
4. Once all is cooked and diced layer in a square baking dish or loaf pan
*Rice on bottom
Serve with carrots, celery, cucumbers and whole grain pita or tortilla chips.