There is always a question of what type of cardio gives you the best benefits. Did you know that you burn more calories by just doing a 20 to 30 minute HIIT workout then you would if you spent an hour on the treadmill?
HIIT training is High Intensity Interval Training and is any workout that is alternated between fast intense burst of energy and a low intense—as a short rest time. Different types of HIIT training can include, Plyometrics, Tabata and Weight Training for time rather than repetitions etc.
Benefits of HIIT
1. More EFFICIENT– You can fit it into your schedule anywhere! Whether you are on lunch break or have a small gap during the day, you can easily squeeze in a workout and continue on with your day. According to a study by the American College of Sports Medicine, in two weeks of doing HIIT for 3 days a week, high-intensity intervals improves your aerobic capacity as much as a 6-8 week endurance program.
2. BURN MORE FAT– Not only are you burning calories during the workout but you will continue to burn throughout the day!
3. No EQUIPMENT– “Because you don’t have time for the gym” You don’t need to spend money for equipment at home so you can squeeze that late night or early morning workout in. You can easily do a full body workout using your own body weight and focusing on muscle endurance and getting that heart pumping. NO EXCUSES!
4. LOSE weight and NOT muscle– HIIT will help you preserve that hard earned muscles you have been working at!
5. SPEEDS UP METABOLISM– Just like you burn more calories during the day and you are able to preserve your muscle mass while losing fat, speeding up your metabolism will help slow down the aging process!
TRY THIS ANYWHERE HIIT WORKOUT!
- 10 Burpees
- 20 Jumping Jacks
- 10 Pushups
- 20 Squat Jumps
- 20 Mountain Climbers
- 30 Second Plank
- 30 Second High Knees
- Rest for a minute and then Repeat 3-4 times