#1: THE IMPORTANCE OF NUTRIENT TIMING AND FUELING THE BODY FOR YOUR GOALS!
Timing for the nutrients you consume pre-workout, sometimes during and post-workout are going to lead you to your goals including building muscle, changing body composition, recovery, performance in an event, and overall strength.
How do you know what to choose to fuel your body for your goals?
Here are some tips to help guide you:
- No matter what your goal as noted above you should always consume a protein source & fast acting carbohydrate like fruit 30 mins pre-workout.
- Post-workout you should again refuel your body with a protein source & carbohydrate, however this carb should be a starchy carbohydrate like oats, sweet potato or rice.
- Although we love our good fats like oils, nuts & nut butters, avocado & salmon to name a few, never consume a good fat post workout as it will slow your digestion and post workout you want the nutrients you eat readily available to the body to use to refuel your muscles.
- We all try to stay hydrated but a good rule to follow:
* Drink 12-16 ounces within 1 hour pre-workout,
* Drink 12-16 ounces during
* And 16 ounces within an hour post (average is based on an hour+ workout).
You can have more if you are used to a lot of water a day & sweat a lot. Athletes typically aim for a gallon a day and a good general rule for the average gym goer is to aim to get in about 70 percent of your bodyweight in ounces per day.